Sunday, February 20, 2005

What a fantastic weekend!

Friday, DW and I went out to dinner at the Royal Oak. I was good, ordering soup and a turkey sandwich with no mayo. That’s not too hard, since I prefer drier sandwiches. the soup was fantastic. I may go back just for the soup, and skip the sandwich next time. Having been good, I then ordered zucchini sticks, which were absolutely what I wanted, and I rationalized were better than French fries for me.

(Don’t tell my body they’re still grease, I’m trying to trick it. My body and I have an ongoing war. What it doesn’t know is that this time, I’m not only going to win, I’m going to win and force its terms of surrender to be the harshest in history. It will lose most of the identity it has created over the years, and assume the persona in the world that most benefits me. In other words, I’m sick of being fat. Yes, I know, I ate deep fried foods. But skinny people do too. I figure skinny people just tell their bodies “This is a salad.” and their obedient bodies process it as such. Hey, it makes as much sense as the Cabbage Soup Diet, doesn’t it?)

While we were at the Oak, DW ordered a Strongbow cider. Now, DW’s background is such that one pint is all it takes to get her giggly and overly relaxed. Not drunk, not obnoxious, but definitely buzzed. She decided it would be fun to go yarn shopping buzzed. She wanted to “pet and fondle all the little yarn beasties, and adopt a few to take home with us”. Please note, DW has often, in the past, been mistaken for being Amish, Mennonite, or a nun. She doesn’t smile much in public. This makes it three times as funny when she gets giggly.

So off we went to Yarn Forward, and I picked up enough Sirdar Snuggly to start on the Christening Shawl from Folk Shawls. That is to be DW’s shawl. Yes, I know, she just finished the Lotus Shawl for herself, but this is a shawl from me, hand knit to keep her warm and cosy. Unfortunately, we got there 10 minutes before closing, so it was a lightning fast yarn-shop. Nonetheless, my darling managed to fondle yarn beasties. She blames the fact that she bought nothing on the alcohol.

Then home to spend a cosy few hours snuggled into the new LaZBoy chair, knitting away at the Big Bad Baby Blanket.

Saturday saw me actually finishing the dishes in the kitchen. Does anyone else notice that dishes, especially eating-off-of dishes like plates and cups, migrate around the house away from warm soapy water in a pattern akin to geese flying away from cold snowy weather? I’ve gotten to the point where, in my head, I consider them two entirely separate sets of dishes. “Today I’ll wash the kitchen dishes, and tomorrow I’ll wash the house dishes.” So I finished the kitchen dishes, and helped the house dishes to migrate in the direction of soapy water.

Saturday night, I remembered a scratch ticket I’d bought at my last gas fill up. Scratch tickets are about my only purchasing weakness besides fibre and books. Some year, when there isn’t anything I particularly want, I’m going to put only “scratch tickets” on my birthday or Christmas list, and I shall shepherd them the way children do Hallowe’en candy – one a day for however long.

SCRATCH…SCRATCH…nope…SCRATCH..nope...SCRATCH sigh……..waitasecond…that’s a $50 dollar sign next to the two other $50 signs! WOOHOO!

Needless to say, today, before going grocery shopping, we went BACK to Yarn Forward. This time DW was not under the influence of alcohol. Between our 15% discount (frequent buyer points are NICE), and the 50 dollar scratch ticket, DW’s purchase of 6 balls of Invicta and my stitch markers (I keep breaking them) and needle sizer (I think those things are the ones who herd the dishes, and then they disappear faster than a two year old’s good humour in a doctor’s office) came to a grand total of….TWENTY ONE dollars. Canadian.

The dishes are more than half done, the house is looking better than it has in weeks, the laundry (thanks to DW) is up to date, the yarn was practically free this weekend, and I’ve lost a total of 12 lbs.

Life is good.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mommajomma said...

Hi! I like your website, and your justification of doing mental math to figure out the alarm clock accuracey really killed me (as I do the same!)It's all a big game, when really I already know the clock is set fast! Thanks for your kind remarks. I especially appreciated them from someone who really sounds like she got the gist of the whole thing! Will keep an eye on your blog
!!

6:26 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home