Wednesday, February 09, 2005

A short story for you

Sorry about the time off, dear readers. I sent a RAOK out, and then couldn't think of anything else to write until it arrived. I didn't want to blog about it, since I know the recipient is one of my 15 (!) subscribers.

Knitting News:

Remember all those UFO's? The ones I said I'd finish? Well, I'm still trucking away. 75% done the Baby blanket (for a darling lil guy who arrived well before his predicted Feb.14th delivery date). Finished Tammy's fuzzy blue scarf. But...

See...

Those fuzzy feet in Knitty were calling me. Unfortunately, my stash is almost all currently on needles. Yes, dear readers, when I finish my WIPs, I shall be stashless. *shiver* Furthermore, I didn't have big enough DPNs. Now, with those two things in mind, I was barely able to resist the siren call of warm feet, until my dear wife said "Hon, would you mind going to Yarn Forward tonight?"

My wife has finished her Lotus Blossom Shawl. She's decided she's obsessed with lace knitting, and wanted a book. Since it was pay day, we had a lil bit of money to spare, so off we trotted.

Her book was fairly pricey, so I got to match it in stuff too. I got three skeins of dark purple Alfoss Lopi, 7 mm dpns, and this book. I cast on fuzzy feet, and am proud to announce that I have just turned my very first heel!

So now I have yet another WIP (can yuou say Startitis, dear readers?). Pictures of all of the above to follow.

Other News

Anybody know of some good tea? I'm drinking lots of tea these days, and we're almost out. I love all sorts of teas, from flavoured to herbal (except decaf, it scares me), and I'd love to hear your suggestions of what I should try next. I've been drinking more tea recently because we're buying less food! DW and I have each dropped almost 10 lbs. Next step is the gym. We were looking forward to spending more on yarn but the money we're saving on food is being funneled directly into debt. The bank realized a week ago that, instead of charging us interest and capital in my big huge student loan, they'd only been charging interest. We've been dropping extra cash into that loan to reduce the capital on a regular basis, but now our monthly payments will become triple what they were before. We now officially spend more on student loan payments than on rent. *sigh* So much for a house in the next year or two, eh?

What's that? I promised you a short story in the title and I haven't delivered? So sorry dear reader. Please find following a short story that I whipped up for one for my English classes when I couldn't find a good sight passage. Remember, it's aimed at teens, don't have TOO high a set of expectations.

SHORT STORY (title suggestions appreciated)

Andrew’s mother was pleased to find him home today; he was sitting on the couch watching television and not out with those friends of his. She paused in the doorway to the living room for a moment, looking at her son.

Andrew’s soft blond hair had been cut into a Mohawk, but he wore it down, swept over one eye. It made him look a little younger, she thought, but she preferred it to the time, months ago, when she had come home to a son who looked like Mr. Clean. Her son should have more hair than his grandfather, she had thought ruefully at the time, but she hadn’t said a word. All in all, Andrew was a good boy, and if he really wanted to follow these fashion trends, she’d let him. They were harmless. Besides, he needed something to make up for those clothes.

He was wearing his signature black. Everything he wore these days was black, his jeans, T shirts, socks, boots, even his underwear. She couldn’t remember the last time she’s used bleach on anything he wore. He liked his jeans tight; he tucked the hems into the Doc Martens that he had saved up to buy. Those army boots actually looked slick, especially with his puffy bomber jacket giving illusory shoulders to his thin frame. No football player, her son.

She wasn’t quite as comfortable with the earrings in his ear, or the ring through his eyebrow. Still, he had assured her that if ever he decided that this “look” wasn’t him, he’d just take the rings out and let the holes close. It was just that he had always had the habit of raising one eyebrow skeptically, and now there was a glint of silver that rose and fell like punctuation to his sarcasm.

They didn’t fight much, she and her son. Not anymore. No more than any other family that she knew of. They’d dealt with the fact that Gary (she refused to call him a father, a father would send money, if not love), had left them. That had left the family somehow closer, as if to say “See, we don’t need you, we have enough love.”

The day Andrew had come out to her had actually been a relief. She’d had suspicions that her son was gay, and the confirmation meant she could deal with it as a fact instead of hating herself for being paranoid. She wasn’t homophobic, nor were his ten and twelve-year-old sisters, so family harmony had been restored. Now that no one was hiding anything, the awkwardness between the family was gone. It also meant that she had someone to talk to when the next in her endless string of romances went sour.

Andrew was bright and sympathetic, and always helped around the house. Even now, at what was supposed to be the most awkward stage of his development, he caused her less trouble than either of his sisters. His marks were high and he helped his youngest sister, Ann, with her homework every night.

The savoury aroma of simmering chili that Andrew had started for supper filled their small kitchen and crept out into the hall. She continued into the kitchen, calling out a greeting to her son as she passed. His laughter at something on the TV drowned her words, but she’d thank him for making supper later. Right now, all she truly wanted was a hot shower. Working as a nurse was difficult, and shift work was even worse, but it was nice to come home to a well-run house, an almost-adult son who was so responsible and, she thought as she peeked into her daughters’ room, two adorable girls who actually obeyed their brother. Andrew’s laughter echoed up the stairs as she eased into the shower and washed out the tensions of the day. She smiled; she’d have to ask him which program was so funny when she went down for some of his chili.
Downstairs, her son chuckled at the television, forcing laughter to cover his concerns. He’d always wondered how she stayed so laid back, between her hellish job and worse boyfriends. Now he knew. It was the envelope marked “Peace” in the bottom kitchen drawer. Your choice of acid, hash, pot, even something that looked like coke. The envelope lay beside him. Andrew wasn’t looking forward to the talk that they would have to have about her drugs and whether or not she could keep them in the house. He just hoped she wouldn’t try to blame it on an ex or say she was holding them for a friend. He and his sisters would simply have to put down their collective foot and tell her she had to change if she wanted to continue living with them.



2 Comments:

Blogger superstahr said...

Boy those student loan people sure are a big fat pain in the arse, I speak from experience. I would suggest you try mighty leaf teas, they are a little pricey but totally worth it in my opinion. Their web address is http://www.mightyleaf.com/. My favorite so far is the Green Tea Tropical. Another good one is Numi. They have a line of artisan teas which are really good. Right now I'm working on a box of the Jasmine Pearl, it's delicious!

-Stacey :)
www.staceysstash.blogspot.com

1:49 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! According to my bloglines, you have 45 subscribers!! :)

12:30 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home